- ESL Classes
- Cantonese Opera
- Social Dance
- Classic Dance
- Aerobic Dance
- Martial Arts
- Tai Chi
- Chinese Painting
- Library and Reading Room
Social and Recreation
Regular Programs include:
- Social Gatherings
- Festive Celebrations
- Guided Tours
- Dancing Parties
- Collective Kitchens
- Chinese Opera Group
- Senior Choir
- Lion Dance
Free services are provided for older adults in CANTONESE, MANDARIN or ENGLISH:
- Information and Referral
- Assistance with the completion of forms
- Assessment and case management
- Escort and interpretation
- Home and Hospital Visitation
- Supportive counseling
- Elder Abuse intervention and support
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Centre and Community support group
Low Income Seniors’ Home Safety & Energy Efficiency Assessment Program
This project is to provide a walk through assessment on Chinese seniors’ primary residence to identify unsafe living conditions and explore energy saving opportunities. The project will also assist qualified seniors to secure available funding sources and to access quality tradesperson to perform the recommended work.
Home safety and energy saving assessment carried out by trained volunteers. Outreach workers assist with funding applications.
Services Not Included:
Volunteers cannot help with recommended work. Such work should be handled by licensed tradesperson.
Tel.403- 269-6122, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers Welcome! We invite applications from caring individuals who enjoy seniors.
Chopsticks on Wheels
This program is launched by Meals on Wheels in partnership with The Calgary Chinese Elderly Citizens' Association. We offer affordable, balanced and nutritional Chinese hot meals to Calgary' s seniors, convalescents and people with disabilities. Doctor's referral is not required.
A registered dietitian plans and supervises the daily fresh-cooked hot meal and deliver directly to the client home each weekday at noon hour. The Chinese style meal consists of meat or fish, or poultry, rice and vegetable.
How to order:
Regular meal service can be requested from 3 to 5 days per week. Service can be started or stopped by calling :
Meals on Wheels :
403-269-6122 (Chinese & English)
Fee : $ 5.25/each regular meal
- Advocacy and Civic Participation
- Civic Engagement Group
- Volunteer Program
Volunteer Visiting Program for Seniors
- Provide supportive friendship for seniors
- Improve seniors' quality of life and wellbeing by engaging in productive activity
- Promote seniors' independence and involvement with the community
We serve two groups of Chinese elderly:
- Homebound seniors 60 years and older
- Chinese seniors residing in mainstream nursing homes or assisted living facilities with limited contact with Chinese culture
Services and Hours
- Homebound seniors will enjoy activities such as friendly conversation, sharing a hobby, or playing games
- Care facility residents will enjoy group-based social and leisure activities such as Chinese tea with refreshments/music
- Each visit lasts for about an hour
- Visits are scheduled on a regular basis
- Our services are free of charge
Services Not Included
Volunteers cannot help with personal care, housework, laundry, grocery shopping, meal preparation, lifting, and handling money.
For further information, please contact the Program Coordinator at 269-6122, ext. 237 or by email at email@example.com
Chinese Special Needs Support Group
- Chinese seniors with disabilities (50 years and up)
- to enhance well-being through planned programs to meet the needs and abilities of older adults with disabilities.
- to guide and assist the participant's integration into community activities.
- to foster social contact and friendship.
- to provide respite for the caregiver.
- to promote a higher quality of life in a warm and culturally sensitive environment
- to value and honour the clients' past accomplishments by recognizing their individuality
- individuals must be age 50 and older, living in the community.
- clients who are frail/chronically disabled/in loss of autonomy/slight dementia.
- clients must be independent in activities of daily living, including taking medication and using washroom facilities.
- clients must become members of the Calgary Chinese Elderly Citizens' Association (CCECA) in order to take part in the program
- individual, family members as well as professionals may make referrals by contacting the program.
- the individual is encouraged to visit the program before filling out an application form
- nutritional hot meals.
- gentle fitness exercise.
- monthly health monitoring.
- health teaching and promotion.
- social and recreational activities.
- arts & crafts.
- festive & birthday celebrations.
- outing activities/special functions (additional charges).
- respite for family caregivers.
- family caregiver support group.
- outreach services - interpretation, information, counseling, referral, benefit application and transportation.
- access to CCECA classes & services
- High staff/client ratio.
- Staff with nursing background.
- Trained volunteers.
Hours of Operation:
- Once a week.
- Monday or Friday: 9:15 am - 3:15 pm
- Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday: 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Length of Stay:
- $10.00 per day (include lunch and cost of some program supplies).
- CCECA membership: $15 per year.
- clients and/or families are responsible for transportation, with staff assistance as necessary
- clients are responsible for the cost of transportation.
- Calgary Chinese Elderly Citizens' Association
3rd Floor, 111 Riverfront Avenue SW,
Calgary, AB, T2P4Y8
Program Contact Information:
- Support Group Coordinator
Phone: (403) 269-6122
Regular Health Services:
- Weekly mobile laboratory (blood &urine tests)
- Annual flu vaccination
- Podiatrist foot care services
- Escort mammogram services
Living Well with a Chronic Condition:
In partnership with Alberta Health Services, the following classes are provided in Cantonese and Mandarin:
- Chronic Lung Disease
- Kidney Basics
- Tobacco Cessation
- Life Styles
- Row Your Own Boat
- Weekly Exercise Class
FREE for older adults age 50& over
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Blood Glucose Check
- Health Information
- Referral Service
- Members aged 70 and under are eligible to join. This group aims at promoting the spirit of mutual help and support. For group members who pass away, the group with liaise with funeral homes to make arrangements and condolence money will be given to the registered beneficiary.